The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) has begun public consultations on nine proposals to identify new substances of very high concern (SVHC). The substances and examples of their uses are:
- 4,4′-sulphonyldiphenol (bisphenol S; BPS): The substance is used for the manufacture of pulp, paper, and paper products; textile, leather, or fur; and chemicals.
- Perfluoroheptanoic acid and its salts: The substances are not registered under the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) regulation.
- Melamine: The substance is used in polymers and resins, coating products, adhesives and sealants, leather treatment products, and laboratory chemicals.
- Isobutyl 4-hydroxybenzoate: The substance is used in the manufacture of substances and in coating products, fillers, putties, plasters, modeling clay, and inks and toners.
- Bis(2-ethylhexyl) tetrabromophthalate covering any of the individual isomers and/or combinations thereof: The substance is used as a flame retardant and as a plasticizer for flexible polyvinylchloride and for use in wire and cable insulation, film and sheeting, carpet backing, coated fabrics, wall coverings, and adhesives.
- Barium diboron tetraoxide: The substance is used in paints and coatings.
- Reaction mass of 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoropropan-2-yl)morpholine and 2,2,3,3,5,5,6,6-octafluoro-4-(heptafluoropropyl)morpholine (FC-770): The substance is used in articles, by professional workers (widespread uses), in formulation or re-packing, at industrial sites, and in manufacturing.
- 2,2′,6,6′-tetrabromo-4,4′-isopropylidenediphenol (tetrabromobisphenol-A; TBBPA): The substance is used as a reactive flame retardant and as an additive flame retardant in the manufacture of polymer resins, in products such as epoxy coated circuit boards, printed circuit boards, and paper and textiles.
- 1,1′-[ethane-1,2-diylbisoxy]bis[2,4,6-tribromobenzene]: The substance is not registered under REACH.
The deadline for comments is October 17, 2022.